Looking for a quality USB microphone at an affordable price? Look no further than the Blue Yeti!
This USB microphone is perfect for anyone from podcasters to voice actors. It has multiple settings that allow you to customize your sound, and it’s extremely easy to use.
In this Blue Yeti review, we will cover all of the features of the Blue Yeti, as well as the other variants, and who this mic is best suited for. We’ll also give you an idea of how much the Blue Yeti is going to set you back if you decide to make a purchase.
What is the Blue Yeti USB Microphone?
The Blue Yeti microphone is a USB condenser mic that has been designed for podcasting, voiceovers, and general music recording on Twitch and YouTube. Designed by Blue mics.
It’s one of the most popular mics on the market, and for good reason – it has some great features which are exceptional at this price range; volume control, audio settings, and an audio interface is just a few of them.
By no means is it considered to be a ‘high-end’ microphone but if you’re someone just starting out in the content creation world, it is an excellent pickup.
Even if you’re just a gamer looking for a long-lasting microphone that has far better quality than most inbuilt headphone microphones, then it’s a great choice.
Let’s get on with this Blue Yeti review…
What are the Different Variants of the Blue Microphones?
There are a few Blue microphones yeti to choose from: the basic Blue Yeti, Blue Yeti X, Blue Yeti Nano, and a Blue Yeti Pro.
Which one of the Blue microphones should you choose? Let’s have a look:
This is the original and most popular Blue Yeti. It’s a great all-rounder that is perfect for anyone starting out in content creation.
Blue Yeti X
The Blue Yeti X is the same as the original Blue Yeti, but it has upgraded controls and light customization. Overall it’s not really worth it over the standard version unless wasting money is a pastime for you.
Blue Yeti Nano
The Blue Yeti Nano is the smallest and most portable version of the Blue Yeti, and it’s a little cheaper too. It’s perfect for people on the go who need a quality microphone. This model has just 2 condenser capsules, whereas the original has three condenser capsules.
Blue Yeti Pro
The Blue Yeti Pro mic is the most expensive and high-end version of the Blue Yeti. It has a number of features that make it perfect for professional use, such as a higher sampling rate, longer life expectancy, and higher-quality sound.
Which variant should you choose?
Beginner content creators will find that the Blue Yeti is perfect for them. It’s easy to use and has a range of customization options for you to get the perfect sound. It’s also a great microphone for long-term use, as it doesn’t require any external power – it gets its power from the USB.
I would avoid the other Yeti’s as a beginner unless you travel around a lot, then the Blue Yeti Nano will be worth your cash.
And then when you begin to cultivate an audience and you can justify it price-wise, then I would look to upgrade to the Blue Yeti Pro.
Blue Yeti Color Variants
There are three different variants of the Blue Yeti – the Black Edition, the Silver Edition, and the Blue Edition.
Typically, you can get the silver one a little cheaper than the other variants online, for whatever reason.
Who is the Blue Yeti made for?
The Blue Yeti microphone has been designed as a multipurpose mic and can be used by anyone from podcasters to voice actors and even gamers.
The thing that makes the Blue Yeti so popular is its flexibility – it has multiple settings which can be tweaked to get the perfect sound for your needs.
If you’re someone who likes to have a little more control over your audio than similarly priced microphones on the market, then the Blue Yeti is perfect for you.
Blue yeti are made for the following types of people:
- Streamers/YouTubers – if you want to start streaming on platforms like Twitch or YouTube, the Blue Yeti is a great choice. It’s easy to use and has excellent sound quality.
- ASMR Creators – Blue Yeti is the microphone of choice for many ASMR artists on YouTube and for good reason – with the Bidirectional option it picks up the sound from two opposite sides of the microphone. Perfect for giving your viewers a great experience.
- Podcasters – the Blue Yeti is perfect for anyone who wants to start a podcast. The multiple settings give you plenty of control over your sound, and it’s easy to use.
- Gamers – if you’re looking for a long-lasting microphone that has far better quality than most inbuilt headphone microphones, then the Blue Yeti is an excellent choice. It’s also great for streaming or recording game footage.
How Much Does the Blue Yeti Cost?
The Blue Yeti microphone typically retails for around $129.99+ which is a very good price considering just how good the Blue Yeti is. It can often be found on sale for cheaper.
If you’re looking for a quality mic that won’t break the bank, then the Blue Yeti is an excellent choice if you want to save money.
Features of the Blue Yeti
The Blue Yeti has a number of useful features that make it perfect for anyone looking for a quality microphone. These include:
- Blue Sherpa app. The Free Desktop Tool, Blue Sherpa, lets you manage your microphone’s settings such as gain, volume, and polar patterns.
- The ability to choose between four different pickup patterns: stereo, cardioid, omnidirectional and bidirectional. This gives you plenty of flexibility in terms of how you want to record your audio.
- Built-in gain dial. You can adjust the level of sound that’s coming into the mic, which is great for avoiding distortion. Controlled with a gain knob.
- A headphone jack: This allows you to listen to your audio sing the headphone volume knob once your earphones are plugged in. This allows you to make sure you’re getting the right audio in real-time, so you know if you need to play around with the other settings if not.
- A mute button: Not a lot of microphones have an in-built mute button, but this one does. It even has a little LED indicator light that tells you whether the mic is muted or not.
- An adjustable mic stand – this allows you to place the blue yeti comfortably on any surface you’re working/playing from. It can also be adjusted to your liking – this feature is important because of the relativity small and heavyweight of the Blue yeti so it is unable to work with just any stand.
- USB Plug and play – By far the best feature. No messing around with weird-looking cords or installing software with a disc. Simply plug the included cable into a USB port as you would with a mouse or a keyword, and you’re ready to go.
The Blue Yeti is a great choice for anyone looking for a quality microphone that has plenty of features.
Crispy clear Sound Quality
The Blue Yeti USB microphone is known for its excellent sound quality and for good reason – it rivals some of the best microphones on the market.
If you’re looking to record vocals, soft ASMR sounds, or pretty much any other noise, the Blue Yeti will do a great job. You’ll be able to get great-sounding audio without having to spend hundreds of dollars.
Overall, the Blue Yeti is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to start recording audio and needs a quality microphone without spending a fortune. It’s easy to use and has great sound quality, making it the perfect option for podcasters, ASMR artists, gamers, and anyone who wants to start recording audio content at a professional level even if they are just starting out.
All Yeti’s are built to last
It’s not just the audio quality that makes the Blue Yeti great, but also its build quality. It’s a sturdy mic that can take a beating, which is perfect if you’re on the move or traveling a lot. The Blue Yeti is also great for people who want to use it in a home studio.
The only downside to the build quality is that it’s a bit on the heavy side, but overall it’s an excellent microphone that will last you for years to come.
Compatible with most systems
The Blue Yeti microphone can be plugged in with most PC and Mac systems without any issues. Simply plug it into a USB slot and you’re good to go. It’s also compatible with most recording software, so you won’t have any trouble getting started.
How to properly set up a Blue Yeti
The Blue Yeti is out of the box ready, so it can be taken out of the box and be running in under a couple of minutes. Take it out of the box, plug the USB cable into the USB port of your PC or Mac, make sure you set the Blue Yeti as the main audio device and you’re done!
How to position your Blue Yeti Mic
It’s critical to pick a quiet space and echo-free for the highest audio results – pretty standard stuff regardless of what microphone you’re using.
However, specifically for a Blue Yeti USB microphone, you’re going to want to place it around 8 inches away from your mouth and at a downward angle. This is to ensure that you’re getting the best sound quality possible and to avoid any distortion or background noise.
And of course, you should have it on the mic stand provided so it isn’t coming into contact with the surface you’re gaming/working from.
Which polar pattern should you choose?
There are a few polar patterns and picking the right one depends on what sort of audio you’re looking to record. Below I’m going to talk about the pickup patterns and outline the pickup patterns that are right for you depending on what audio you capture.
There are four different polar patterns to choose from on the Blue Yeti – cardioid pattern, bidirectional, omnidirectional, and stereo.
- Cardioid Polar Pattern – Cardioid Mode is perfect for solo recording, whether you’re streaming on Twitch or recording a new YouTube video for your channel.
- Bidirectional Polar Pattern – Bidirectional mode opens up left and right channels which is great for interviews or duets, while also good for ASMR content if you want to give the user a two-ear experience like a 3DIO could.
- Omnidirectional Polar Pattern – The omnidirectional mode is perfect for recording a group of people such a conference call or a 3+ podcast group. The sound quality isn’t as good whilst using this setting, but the fact that you can record everyone is the main advantage.
- Stereo Polar Pattern: Stereo mode is also good for ASMR videos, but much better for recording acoustic guitar or anyone looking to capture ‘realistic sound’.
Strengths of the Blue Yeti
- Great Value for money – The Blue Yeti is one of the most affordable high-quality microphones on the market and to me is comparable to a high-end studio microphone.
- Mult Pickup Pattern Selection – This gives users a lot of flexibility when it comes to what they want to record which most USB microphones do not have.
- Important Recording Features – Compared to other USB mics, Yeti provides a decent selection of recording functions, including an internal gain dial, volume knob, mute switch, and polar pattern switch.
- Sturdy Build Quality – The Blue Yeti can take a beating, which is great if you’re on the move or traveling a lot (or you’re just a super clumsy person like me).
Weaknesses of the Blue Yeti
- Heavy Weight – The Blue Yeti USB mic is a bit of a heavy microphone, which might not be ideal for people who want to take it with them on the go.
- Noise Cancellation – The Blue Yeti USB mics feature noise-canceling technology, but for some users, it isn’t good enough for what they need.
- Quite Sensitive – The Blue Yeti USB mic is quite sensitive to sound, so you’ll want to make sure you’re in a noise-free environment when recording with it.
- Locked to a single mic – With a Yeti microphone, you can’t have a multi-head setup. As a result, you’ll be restricted to using this as your dedicated mic – which isn’t going to be a problem for most of you, but I thought it was worth pointing out.
- Customer service is poor – Customer service is a big downside when dealing with Blue’s products. My favorite Blue Yeti microphone review that I’ve come across stated: “You’re more likely to encounter a genuine Yeti than to get customer service from Blue Microphones.“
So, should you buy a Blue Yeti?
This is the end of the Blue Yeti Review, but should you go out and buy one?
If you’re wanting USB Microphones at a reasonable price and have many features that you can play around with to get things just right, then one of the Blue Yeti USB microphones is for you!
The Blue Yeti is an excellent microphone choice for anyone who wants a quality mic that doesn’t break the bank. With four different polar patterns to choose from, so users have a lot of flexibility when it comes to what they want to record.
It has some great features which make it perfect for recording podcasts, voice acting, and playing games on Discord. And the fact it is plug and play is definitely a great thing for newbies!
So, what are you waiting for? Pick up a Blue Yeti and start creating some amazing content!
Frequently Asked Questions about Blue Yeti Microphone
How do you turn on a Blue Yeti mic?
The Blue Yeti can be turned on by simply plugging it into your computer using the USB cord provided.
Where should gain be on Blue Yeti?
The Blue Yeti’s internal gain settings depend on what type of audio you’re recording. I would recommend messing around with it for yourself as a default setting might not be quite right for you.
How do you not hear yourself on mic Blue Yeti?
If you don’t want to hear yourself on the Blue Yeti mic, just unplug your headphones/earphones from the audio jack.
Makayla ASMR is an up-and-coming artist who has quickly gained a following on YouTube for her videos which provide relaxation and tingles to her viewers.
Solfrid ASMR is a YouTuber who creates ASMR videos, most known for her mouth sounds and food-eating videos.